FAQ on and about International Buddhist College

A. Applications to study at International Buddhist College (IBC)

1. What is so unique about International Buddhist College? Why should I choose to teach or study at IBC?
International Buddhist College is an academic institution that provides a multinationally, multitraditionally and multiculturally rich teaching and learning environment that is also unique in many respects:

  • the curriculum is all-embracing in depth and breadth in its coverage of the teachings of major Buddhist traditions, giving equal emphasis to the teachings known as 'Theravada' and 'Mahayana';
  • the teaching faculty and student community are multinational and multitraditional in composition so that instructors and students not only teach and learn, but also live and experience the richness of the teachings and practice of various traditions, heritage and cultures;
  • IBC offers instructors and students a unique experience in living, teaching and learning Buddhism in many aspects not found elsewhere.

2. What are the academic programs on offer?
IBC offers a B.A., M.A. and Ph. D. program in Buddhist Studies.

See programs and navigate further from there for more details.

3. What is the teaching medium?
All academic programs are offered in English as the medium of instruction. The M.A. and Ph.D. in Buddhist studies is also offered in Chinese.

4. Any language requirement?

English and Chinese as the medium of instruction

Students need to show proficiency in English or Chinese, the medium of instruction for its academic programs. To be eligible for admission into the undergraduate or graduate program, students need to have an English or Chinese language proficiency level equivalent to a Toefl score of 550. IBC proposes an Intensive English Language program for those students who have some basic foundation knowledge in these languages but whose language proficiency level needs to be raised to the desired level for them to be able to follow the undergraduate and graduate programs.

Requirement on Buddhist canonical or scriptural language for postgraduate studies

Knowledge in Pali, Sanskrit, and others such as Chinese, Japanese, or Tibetan are an advantage but not an absolute requirement for consideration for admission into any of IBC's academic programs. Applicants who fulfill other requirement will be considered for admission and once admitted into the postgraduate program, the students must be prepared to take up these language courses as preliminary or extra courses (credits not counted towards the postgraduate program enrolled in). Students lacking in skill in one or more of these languages are advised to take these language courses to build up their foundation in these languages for their postgraduate studies. The language courses at foundation and higher levels are offered every semester as part of the B.A. program.

5. What are the fees?

See fees for the fee structure of each program. Fees are subject to change from time to time. Write to enquire@ibc.ac.th for confirmation on the latest fee structure for each program.

6. How do I apply to join any of the academic programs offered?

Interested applicants may download and complete the application forms and submit them in soft copies to enquire@ibc.ac.th; and mail the hard copies to International Buddhist College. Application forms and instructions on supporting documents required can be downloaded at the enrollment page.

7. Is there any educational assistance program?

IBC 's Educational Assistance Scheme is offered by Klintiendharm Foundation (Than Hsiang Foundation, Thailand) and you can write in to apply for it.

Please see details here.

8. What are the minimal entry requirements?

  • for B.A. program - successful completion of high school education or Pali Level 5 or equivalent; proficiency in English and/or Chinese language, TOEFL score of 550 or equivalent; work experience that is relevant.
  • for M.A. program - successful completion of a Bachelor's degree in any discipline with a minimal GPAX of 2.75 or equivalent; proficiency in English and/or Chinese language, TOEFL score of 550 or equivalent; work experience that is relevant.
  • for Ph. D. program - successful completion of a Master's degree in any discipline with a minimal GPAX of 3.50 or equivalent; proficiency in English and/or Chinese language, TOEFL score of 550 or equivalent; work experience that is relevant.
  • For more details, see the curricula of the

    9. Is there any age limit?

    There is no age limit, or any other forms of discrimination. Students need to be medically and spiritually sound to follow the academic programs they are eligible for, admitted and enrolled in. Residential students are expected to abide by the residential rules and regulations which are formulated based on the Buddhist Monastic Code of Disciplines.

    10. How often does IBC take in students?
    For Ph.D. applications are received all year round but the selection is made twice a year for admission at the first (August) or second (January) semester of each academic year. For those who intend to begin the program in the August or January semester, the deadlines for receipt of the application are 31st May and 31st October respectively.

    The applications for B.A. and M.A. programs are accepted only one time a year for intakes in the First Semester only (August).

    11. What is the selection procedure?

    Applicants are required to sit for Language Proficiency Test, entrance qualifying examinations for postgraduate programs, and interviews.

    • For entry into B.A. program, applicants have to sit for Language Proficiency Test if they do not have proof of TOEFL score of 550 or equivalent, and if they are not native speakers of English or Chinese language and who can also read and write in those languages;
    • For entry into M.A. program, in addition to language proficiency test and interview as mentioned above, applicants have to sit for Entrance Qualifying Examination on Buddhist Studies;
    • For entry into Ph. D. program, in addition to language proficiency test and interview as mentioned above, applicants have to submit an outline of his/her proposed research interests that can be developed into Ph. D. research project.
    • 12. How do I find accommodation around the campus?

      Write to enquire@ibc.ac.th for assistance with finding accommodation around IBC.

      13. How do I find my way to IBC?

      Please see

      Directions to the IBC Korat Campus (Pak Thong Chai)
      Directions to the IBC Sadao Campus (Songklhla)

      You can also call IBC office at +66-74-536202, +66-74-536203 or mobile +66 81 9593895

      14. What do you recommend I should bring from my home country?

      If you are not a native speaker of English or Chinese language, bring a good dictionary. Bring a notebook computer. While IBC library is reasonably well stocked with English and Chinese language books, it would be useful for you to bring useful reference books which are in your own language, in English or Chinese and other languages. Weather in southern Thailand is fairly warm, bring light clothings. In northern Thailand, weather is slightly cooler and can be quite chilly at night, bring some warm clothings too if you intend to spend some time there during your stay in Thailand.

      15. What about student visa? Why should I not enter Thailand using tourist visa to study at IBC?

      Applicants who are successful and given admission to one of the academic programs will be sent official letters of offer and instructions on how to apply for a 'Non-immigrant ED Visa' or student visa. Successful applicants are advised to obtain a 'Non-immigrant ED Visa' or student visa before entering Thailand. Entering Thailand with a tourist visa would necessitate the applicant to exit Thailand to apply for a 'Non-immigrant ED Visa' or student visa for study at IBC.

      Student visa is renewable on a yearly basis. IBC office will help the students who have successfully completed their yearly studies to renew their student visa.

      IBC is obligated to inform the Immigration department for their decision or action on the student visa validity period should students who have obtained the visa fail to study at IBC or leave IBC without completing his/her study.

      16. How soon will I hear about the outcome of my application?

      Applications which are complete with all the necessary supporting document will be processed very fast with the following possible outcomes:

    • rejection for failing in fulfilling the minimal requirement;
    • accepted for consideration pending outcomes of Language Proficiency test, Entrance qualifying examination and Interview;
    • overseas applicants will be informed on the date and venue of Language Proficiency test, Entrance qualifying examination and Interview when these can be finalised.
    • 17. How do I help expedite the processing of my application?

      Applicants can help IBC expedite their applications by having their copies of supporting documents 'Certified True' by a lawyer or Notary Public and attested by their country's embassy or foreign mission in Thailand before sending them on to IBC.

      18. What cause the delay in the processing of my application?

      All applications must be supported with the required documents such as:

  1. Four (4) copies of passport-sized photograph护照规格相片两张
  2. One (1) photocopy set of passport pages containing details on passport number, personal particulars and photograph / 印有护照号码、个人讯息及相片之护照页复印件1套
  3. Certified true copies of all certificates and relevant examination results经认证之全部证书及考试成绩原件
  4. Testimonial / Letter of reference 推荐 / 介绍信
  5. Personal medical health report 医院体检证明报告
  6. For a Sangha student: certified copy of Monk / Nun Identity Certificate 出家学生: 僧伽证 / 戒牒复印件
  7. Guaranteed letter on good character by the abbot of a temple/所在寺院住持签署之行为保证书

Often, applicants forget to send in the examination transcripts or have their certificates or document 'certified true'. Incomplete applications and insufficient supporting documentation delay the processing of the applications.

In some cases, delays are due to time needed to find the right venue and person to conduct the language proficiency test, entrance examination and interview in the foreign country. But the duration of delay due to this technicality will generally be limited and solution usually found before the deadline of intake of the students for a given semester.

19. Who should I contact for general inquiry?

Please go to contact.